Saturday 13 December 2014

Facing The Fear

Fear is a four letter word that can make a hell let of a difference in someone’s life. When it escalates and its magnitude increases, it turns into phobia. With a good numbers in population accepting that they have fear of something, we also have good percentage of individuals who live in denial of fearing anything. Now again not fearing anything does not mean taking foolish decisions. To overcome your fear you first have to accept it and try to face it.
Some people have stage fear but that does not mean they should go to stage unprepared to face the fear. To face fear you have to be prepared for it. If you have stage fear, then first prepare yourself and then make appearance on stage. It might not turn out to be a best experience but it will give you confidence to face your fear in future.

Even when I look back I recollect that I was too afraid of failures because I could not accept them. It hindered me from not only taking big decisions but also the calculated risks. I had that desire of starting my own company but convinced myself for the company job. The main reason for it was the risk involved and not getting approval of the mass. I always thought of indulging in tried and tested ways. I did not like venturing into the unknown field because of surprise element or shock element as I interpreted.
I got job in an MNC but the joining date never arrived because the company said we cannot accommodate more employees because of the recession. I was again unemployed and now the situation became dire because hiring was on halt in most of the companies. I searched for job for few months before landing in a small local startup. It helped me understand various intricacies of the business and how to run a company. The more knowledge I got the clearer the thought of starting my own company became.
After a couple of years I left that job and started working on freelancing basis. My decision was not approved by my family, friends and relatives. Freelancing was not easy at the beginning but that is when the stuff I learned in the company helped me. I implemented all the knowledge that I had gained while working for my previous company. After half a year my efforts were started paying. I was getting regular work from the same clients and even from the new clients.
This was the time when the desire to start my company was at its peak but the fear of failing stopped me. But the desire made me gain more knowledge about starting a company. The knowledge gave me confidence and helped me in overcoming my fear and I finally took the initiative and hired two individuals and rented an office. Initial months were unproductive and I had to pay them from my pocket. The decision was turning out to be disaster and the fear of failing was again breathing down my neck but it was time to rise above fear. I worked hard and talked to the employees and contemplated my approach all over and the result finally paid off. The wheels of the company were finally churning and within a year the company of 3 grew to 20. Profit rose exponentially and the company which started as small IT dream is ready to flap it wings and make its flight count.
If there is something that I learned from it was overcoming fear is the first step to goal.


No comments:

Post a Comment